Thousands of water meters still fitted in Northern Ireland despite Stormont pledge - July 2016

Fifth in our series looking at articles relating to water charges in Northern Ireland.  This article, by The Irish News dated July 5 2016  relates to NI Water installing meters even after the practice was exposed by the newspaper in 2014 that forced Ministers to pledge that they would stop the practice.   Two days after this article came out the Infrastructure Minister Chris Hazzard instructed NI Water to cease installing meters.  However, it was not until December 2016 that legislation wasput in place by Stormont.

Water ministers since 2007, from left, Sinn Féin's Conor Murphy, UUP's Danny Kennedy, DUP's Michelle McIlveen and Sinn Féin's Chris Hazzard

Water ministers since 2007, from left, Sinn Féin's Conor Murphy, UUP's Danny Kennedy, DUP's Michelle McIlveen and Sinn Féin's Chris Hazzard

 

Thousands of water meters still fitted at homes despite Stormont pledge

Brendan Hughes
05 July, 2016 01:00

WATER meters continue to be installed at homes across Northern Ireland despite a Stormont pledge two years ago to end the practice.

More than 7,000 meters have been fitted at domestic properties since 2014 bringing the number of water meters installed since 2007 to 42,200 at a cost in excess of £13 million.

Stormont faced accusations of "deception" over water charges when The Irish News first revealed in 2014 the scale of meter installations.

In response to the revelations the then regional development minister Danny Kennedy vowed to change the law on water meters for households.

However, the legislation brought forward earlier this year has not stopped meters being fitted, even though domestic water charges are deferred.

The new law gives the department the power to make regulations to remove the requirement for NI Water to install meters.

Any such regulations however would still require approval through the assembly and consultations with bodies such as the Consumer Council and Utility Regulator.

Opposition parties last night called for the executive to end meter installations at homes to prevent "charging infrastructure taking root".

SDLP West Tyrone MLA Daniel McCrossan, the party's infrastructure spokesperson, said: "The executive's promise to defer water charges will be cold comfort to those living in the 42,200 family homes that now have water meters installed.

"They'll rightly ask what other purpose those meters serve than to pave the way for a domestic charge.

"Every day that he delays sees more and more meters installed with the charging infrastructure taking root. The answer is simple – table the regulations."

Water charges continue to be a divisive issue on both sides of the border, with bills recently suspended in the south.

In the north water charges currently only apply to non-domestic properties.

But under legislation introduced in 2007, NI Water must install meters on supplies to domestic properties newly connected to the public water supply.

NI Water had sought to stop fitting meters at new homes but is still legally required to continue.

There have been four ministers in charge of the issue since 2007, including Sinn Féin's Conor Murphy and Ulster Unionist Danny Kennedy.

In November 2014 Mr Kennedy told The Irish News he intended to change the law following calls for meters at new homes to be banned.

"It is my intention to amend the existing legislation on this issue through the forthcoming Water Bill," he said.

The DUP's Michelle McIlveen succeeded him last year as minister of the Department for Regional Development (DRD).

And earlier this year its responsibilities were moved to the new Department for Infrastructure, currently headed by Sinn Féin minister Chris Hazzard.

Mr McCrossan urged the minister to push forward with the regulations saying he had the power "end this practice and that's exactly what he needs to do".

TUV leader Jim Allister also called for a "clear explanation as to why the promised action has not been followed through".

Mr Kennedy was unavailable yesterday, but party colleague Jenny Palmer urged the executive to continue the work he started.

The assembly member, the party's infrastructure spokesperson, said: "The work that was done by Danny Kennedy to bring forward this legislation must be given effect as soon as possible in this mandate.

"If the executive does not intend to implement water charging, then public confidence should not be undermined by the continued installation of water meters."

A spokesman for NI Water said the total number of meters serving domestic properties has reached 42,200.

He said the new laws on water meters "cannot be implemented until guidance is given by the Department for Infrastructure".

The Department for Infrastructure last night did not respond to requests for a comment.

However when asked in April during the last Stormont mandate a DRD spokesman said: "The Water and Sewerage Services Act (Northern Ireland) 2016 gives the Department power to make regulations to remove the current requirement on NI Water to install water meters at domestic properties connecting for the first time to the public water supply.

"The department is working to form the necessary regulations which must be approved by the new assembly."

 

European Commission questions NI water charges decision

This is fourth in the series looking at articles relating to water charges in Northern Ireland.  The BBC article is dated August 22 2016.  It was published after Britain's EU referendum June 2016 but before Teresa May triggered Article 50 March 2017.  The point about timing is how would Brexit affect this EU pilot case or indeed Stormont's commitment to the EU Water Framework Directive.  Wouldn't it be interesting to find out the outcome?

We have contacted the EU Commission Representative for NI (incidentally in London) about any outcomes and as soon as we get their answer, if any, we will let you know. 

watermeter.jpg
 

European Commission questions NI water charges decision

By Conor Macauley BBC NI
Agriculture & Environment Correspondent

The European Commission has asked questions about the Northern Ireland Executive's decision not to charge homeowners for water.

Stormont officials have refused to give any details citing confidentiality.

Homeowners will not face bills until at least March 2017, after MLAs ruled to defer charges.

Instead, the executive pays the cost of £280m a year to NI Water. Further legislation is expected to extend the policy.

However, the decision could mean that the authorities are not complying with European rules on water quality.

The EU Water Framework Directive envisages that users should pay for their water to promote conservation.

'Pilot case'

Officials in Northern Ireland make the case that people do that through their regional rate.

Northern Ireland is the only part of the UK not to levy a charge on homes, although businesses do pay charges.

That has prompted a debate with calls for the introduction of a charge on homes to pay for improvements in infrastructure.

Now, the European Commission has opened a so-called "pilot case" to look at the issue.

Essentially, this is a way for the commission to establish whether EU rules are being correctly applied.

It allows for the commission and member states to resolve any conflicts without resorting to infringement proceedings.

The Department of Agriculture Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA) said it could not comment on the detail of the case.

"It is the subject of a confidential dialogue with the Commission and the release of further details could potentially prejudice the outcome of those discussions," said the department.

The two sides get about 20 weeks to try and sort out their differences.

Many cases are resolved without going to a formal hearing.

Source: BBC News NI, Aug 22 2016


CER announces extension of water charges plan to 31 December 2017

The Commission for Energy Regulation (CER) announced on 10 August 2017 that it approved Irish Waters Charges Plan update that extends the deadline for suspension of domestic water charges to 31 December 2017.

 
 

The announcement made on CER website states:

The CER has today, 10 August 2017, published an updated version of Irish Water’s Water Charges Plan. This document has been approved by the CER. 
 
The document has been updated by Irish Water to reflect an extension (through legislation) of the period for which domestic water charges are suspended. The period of suspension has been extended by five months to 31 December 2017. Please note that this Water Charges Plan does not reflect the Report of the Joint Oireachtas Committee on the Future Funding of Domestic Water Services, published last April. Further amendments to the Water Charges Plan may be required at a later date pending the legislative changes anticipated following that report.
Today’s publication, 10 August 2017, supersedes any previous Water Charges Plans.
For details regarding the legislation which provided for the extension to 31 December 2017, please see the Water Services Act 2014 (Extension of Suspension of Domestic Water Charges) (Amendment) Order 2017 or S.I No. 330 of 2017.
Charges were originally suspended to 31 March 2017 by the Water Services (Amendment) Act 2016, and this was subsequently extended to 31 July 2017 by Water Services Act 2014 (Extension of Suspension of Domestic Water Charges) Order 2017 or S.I. No. 118 of 2017. These pieces of legislation are available on www.irishstatutebook.ie.
 

Source:  http://www.cer.ie/document-detail/Irish-Waters-Updated-Water-Charges-Plan-2017/1175